Friday, September 26, 2008

google article

The article about how the internet is re-shaping how we read and think was an interesting one. Personally, I still find immense joy in reading books. I've always loved reading and the internet hasn't changed that. In fact, although I do like the conveniance the internet offers as far as getting to many sources of information quickly, I find myself annoyed most of the time. I don't like reading lengthy articles online, mostly because there is so much distraction with other links and advertisements on the sides, and I suppose I just find it more comfortable to pick up a book and read so I don't have to keep scrolling down etc. Like mentioned in the article : "They found that people using the sites exhibited “a form of skimming activity,” hopping from one source to another and rarely returning to any source they’d already visited. They typically read no more than one or two pages of an article or book before they would “bounce” out to another site. " I do find myself with little patience, bouncing around like they say.
Additionally, I do think that the internet, and Google are great tools. I know that I have explored certain topics and issues of interest through Google that I might not have otherwise researched at say, the library. Google helps to find information on all spectrums quickly and efficiently.

No comments: